RE: Justification for the touch-action processing model

From: Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 01:13:52 +0000
To: Benoit Marchant <marchant@mac.com>, "dglazkov@chromium.org" <dglazkov@chromium.org>
CC: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>, Daniel Freedman <dfreedm@google.com>, "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>
+Dimitri, Tony
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Benoit Marchant <marchant@mac.com> wrote:

> I hope I'm wrong but I'm worried about how the current design applies to a component, encapsulated approach where no components should have to know how it is used, where or inside which other component it may be. Has that been scrutinized?

I believe that several folks close to the components spec have reviewed touch-action and were satisfied with the design.

I'm not an expert in components, but I would expect that touch-action would follow the upper-boundary encapsulation defined in the shadow DOM spec just like any other property (assuming apply-author-styles is not set) [1]. It looks like the Shadow DOM spec covers this already. But if it needs further clarification, I think that Shadow DOM spec is the right place to go since Pointer Events is a bit further along the W3C process.

-Jacob

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/shadow/index.html#styles