RE: Justification for the touch-action processing model

Addressing your first question:
The processing model is designed so that you can incorporate scrollable/zoomable elements as "ceilings" for the inheritance. Your map example illustrates this. Put a different way, we want it such that when you touch in a scrollable/zoomable element then you only need to consider the elements inside the scrollable/zoomable element to determine the touch-action.  Happy to add a note if that helps.

Your second question:
Computed styles usually just reduce to a common unit/format. In the case of length properties, this does have the effect of needing to take into account parent/child relationships. But otherwise, it doesn't. I think a good example of this is overflow. "overflow: auto" does not compute to "scroll" simply because the element now overflows. I like this design also because it becomes a little more straightforward to detect if a browser supports a particular touch-action value because the computed value only takes into account the specified style for the given element.

-Jacob