Re: Last Call comments

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Sergey Konstantinov <twirl@yandex-team.ru>wrote:

> >         The capturing system is a meaningless artifact of IE6, why
> >         implement it again?
> >

> >     <snip>
>
> Accessing the document is, of course, bad for composition. But accepting the wrong designed feature instead is much worse.
>
> Do you have another proposal? I believe the only other solution that has
been discussed is using the capturing phase. I honestly don't know of any
web developers who use it. And we've already discussed why pointer capture
is easier to work with.

> I quickly read over jQuery code. The accidental capturing on the random node will completely break the following functionality:
>
> What is creating "accidental capturing"? Who is creating the accident?
How?

> - enter/leave events detection,
>
> Perhaps in some low-level technical sense, but not in perceived reality.
If someone wants pointer capture, then they're saying, "if the pointer
leaves this element, we're going treat it as if that never happened.
Browser, will you please treat that as reality?" Let's take the slider
example from the spec. Imagine a class is added and removed as the pointer
enters and leaves. If the pointer is down while hovering, then the thumb
wants to capture the events. If the user moves the pointer down such that
it leaves the thumb, the widget wants to continue to track the horizontal
movement and continue sliding. Although the pointer has technically left
the thumb, the widget is conveying to the page that this has not occurred.
In other words, the pointer is still interacting with me, please do not
respond to any actions performed outside of my physical space. Pointer
capture provides a way to accomplish this.

Similarly, if the pointer moves fast enough horizontally, the events will
fire on some other element, which means that you have to actually bind to
the document which is annoying.

removed back in 1.9: http://jquery.com/upgrade-guide/1.9/#live-removed