Re: FW: Questions re POE.UC.01

Dear all,

I had pending to solve this -the last days I was attending in a
Conference. The next iteration should be faster :)
Please see below my answers in red colour.

I agree. I suggest the following sample licenses to be added.
META-SHARE_Commercial_NoRedistribution
META-SHARE_Commercial_NoRedistribution_For-a-Fee
META-SHARE Commercial NoRedistribution NoDerivatives_For-a-fee
META-SHARE Commercial NoRedistribution NoDerivatives
META-SHARE NonCommercial NoRedistribution NoDerivatives_For-a-fee
META-SHARE NonCommercial NoRedistribution NoDerivatives
META-SHARE NonCommercial NoRedistribution_For-a-Fee
META-SHARE NonCommercial NoRedistribution
All of them available at: http://www.meta-net.eu/meta-share/licenses

As well as:
CLARIN RES+BY+NORED
CLARIN RES+BY+NC+NORED
CLARIN RES+FF+BY+LRT+NORED
CLARIN ACA+BY+NORED
CLARIN ACA+BY+NC+NORED
https://www.clarin.eu/content/license-categories

>     ·Re r 7: “… from an …” -> “… from an …” ?
>
>     ·Re r 7: what means creating a new resource from an existing
>     resource … maybe: deriving? (see r 13)
>
> Yes, deriving. In this case, the publication of derivative works must
> be reported (unsure about the meaning of "redeposit", we can ask).
>
>     ·Re r 10: “complete manner“ – does that mean the policy includes
>     exactly how to attribute?
>
> Yes, with specific indications (I have usually seen the specification
> of the email/name to be attributed. But also (rare) the location/size
> of a logo)
>
>     ·Re r 14: “within” = the policy defines explicitly the fee,
>     “outside” =  the policy defines that the fee has to be agreed
>     outside the policy’s scope
>
> The actual price is not specified in the policy, but in an external
> resource (for example accessible via http request)
>
>     ·Re r 16: … to use policy templates to create a final, “real” policy?
>
> I see two options.
> 1) The policy template is not a policy until the "gaps" are filled -->
> simple, but this requires a non-expert to modify a possibly complex
> expression
> 2) Two metadata records describe a resource:
> "licenseTemplate=TEMPLATE24", "price=1 EUR". This is the preferred
> option by non-experts, but anomalous for ODRL.
>
> ???MS: I suggest to include these details – as this is different to
> what ODRL and possibly other RELs expect: if a policy/license can be
> accessed by a URL then the complete syntax is in the response. I
> understand your second option as “some (explicit) placeholders in the
> policy template must be virtually replaced by parameters in the URL
> requesting it, only then the full policy is available.” (Is this the
> best option or should we recommend that this is done by the server
> responding to the URL: it takes the parameters, replaces the
> placeholders of an internal template and sends the ready-to-use and
> complete policy – and is this something which should be defined by POE
> or is this a job for implementers of POE.)

In my opinion this is the most interesting requirements derived from
this requirement, as it is an structural one. I do not know how to
formulate, as I do not want to anticipate the solution. I suggest:
- Leaving the use case as it is, adding two requirements:
- 1 To add "template" as another kind of policy. A template is defined
to be an ODRL policy with some values being undefined.
- 2 To add an expected behaviour when retrieving a policy. Thus:
http://company.com/odrltemplate1--> retrieves the ODRL policy template
http://company.com/odrltemplate1?price=100&currency=EUR--> retrieves the
ODRL policy with the "price" and "currency" fields filled in.

>     ·Re r 17: please examples of categories – policy category is not
>     an unambiguous term
>
> In different dimensions. For example, in [1], one dimension licenses
> is "public", "academic", and "with restrections". Other dimension can
> be "for data", "for software", "for general IP works".
>
> ???MS: are that really categories of policies or are that categories
> of a) the licensees and b) the assets?

I think you are right, they are categories of licensees and categories
of assets.

>     ·Re r 18: what should have this ability of referencing? “this”
>     policy, or something else? What is the role of “this policy” in
>     the latter case?
>
> Think of a "ODBC Public Domain Dedication and License 1.0". I may want
> to reference its machine readable version, but it has no standard URI
> (nor standard codification). The URIs at [3] have been used, but
> another equally stable domain might be proposed --for example as
> references to a non-normative part of the POE spec.
>
> ???MS: is this a features which has to be defined by POE as what you
> describe is how to access a POE policy.

I believe we should specify that "a good practice" is making policies
dereferenceable. Not much useful for private use of policies, incredibly
useful for public licenses.

I have updated the wiki accordingly.
Again, sorry for the huge delay in the follow up.
Víctor

--
Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel
D3205 - Ontology Engineering Group (OEG)
Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial
ETS de Ingenieros Informáticos
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

Campus de Montegancedo s/n