Re: [PNG] Thoughts on semver-ish naming? "Third Edition" -> 1.3

I think I agree with you.
That is part of why I wanted a clear PNG 2.0 distinction for the breaking
change. It would be separate but similar.
But you're right about HTML5 not being a breaking change.

Perhaps JPEG XL was the correct naming path then. We can use PNG 2.0 for
Third Edition and keep the core "PNG" unbroken. A break could involve a
change to the name.
I think the people who would even be aware of PNG updates (thus potential
excited users) are just as likely to become aware/excited over "PNG 2.0" or
"PNG XL".

That said, I'm still concerned about building user awareness and excitement.