RE: Chairing Announcement + A Request

Echidna is a W3C tool for automatically publishing new versions of the
specifications and notes using github actions (e.g., when we merge pull
requests in github). During the development of epub 3.3, we switched to this
process to avoid the time and energy involved in manually re-publishing the
documents (e.g., deciding when to republish, get a call for consensus,
manually exporting a snapshot, publishing the snapshot to TR).

Since then, we've turned off the automatic publishing of the specifications
as it doesn't work well for republishing recommendations. For those, we're
going the manual route of letting changes build up for a while before
publishing a revised standard. But we're still using echidna for notes, as
there's no need to manually re-publish them when we've already approved the
pull requests.

The issue is that W3C process requires us to approve this automated workflow
for all our specifications and notes and we don't have that resolution. So,
for example, we can't use an echnida workflow right now with the recently
published exemption property note until we get this process approved
generally for all our work.

Echidna doesn't change the way that specifications and notes are formatted.
That is controlled by respec - a javascript program that runs in/on the
documents and is called by echidna as part of generating the static
documents.

If you're really interested, the yml configuration files that are read by
echnida are stored here:
https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/tree/main/.github/workflows

You can also view the result of echidna runs in the Actions tab by clicking
on the various "CI" workflows: https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/actions

(I'm sure Ivan will correct me if I've got anything wrong here. :)

Matt