Re: Thoughts/comments on "Philosophical Engineering: Toward a Philosophy of the Web"

Hi,

Le Thu, 02 Jan 2014 19:35:58 +0100, Brandt Dainow <bd@thinkmetrics.com> a
écrit:

> Hi folks, it seems to me as an outside observer of this fascinating
> conversation that you are in danger of building structures on dangerous
> uses
> of terminology. Information is a difficult concept, and certainly not
> restricted to the web.

Absolutely, we have so many different definitions that it's indeed one
tricky concept.

 For example, Floridi’s Theory of Information
> Ethics
> treats all beings as “informational objects” in a very useful way, and it
> seems to me anything perceived has informational properties. To use
> “information objects” as a defining characteristic of web entities or
> even
> web experience is therefore suspect.

I agree. That's precisely why I don't. I referred mostly to models like
FRBR, or widely used ontological design patterns like physical realization
of information objects (without advocating such models).

 Furthermore, it strikes me that
> this
> is defining web entities in terms of their material nature, when we’d be
> better searching for functional characteristics as these do not depend on
> specific technical protocols, digital substrates, etc, and thus are more
> future-proof.
>
> On the other hand, it seems to me there is no real issue with what
> http://times.com represents. This is a URL, which has a precise
> technical
> meaning and can be taken to represent the files forming the website
> without
> worrying about what constitutes a website, and clearly does not represent
> any other ontological type of being, such as the organisation. That is
> not
> to say that the URL may not become associated with other experiences or
> entities in the minds of individuals, but those are not properties of the
> URL. I think it’s very important to be 100% clear about technical terms,
> such as URL’s, which have very specific meanings.

There, I completely disagree :) If it were so simple, we wouldn't have so
many debates archived on similar mailing lists ;) Plus, what is the
"technical meaning" of such a URL (I prefer to speak only of URIs), apart
from the social meaning? These questions were well addressed by Harry in
his thesis and they have no easy answer.

 We may wish to discuss
> the manner in which people (mis)use them for other purposes, such as
> referencing the organisation, but we need to understand such usages have
> no
> impact on the precise and prior technical meanings.

I see no misuse here...

Cheers,
A.

> Regards,
>
> Brandt Dainow
>
> http://nuim.academia.edu/BrandtDainow

>>> bots. I've co-written a piece myself about the evolution of the Web
> [...]
> identifying a resource is dereferenced to an Http representation.
>
> But the comparison fails to grasp important aspects of objects in
> general -
> not just information objects.
>
> http://times.com/ might refer to the institution that is the Times, or
> the
> newspaper, or its online version, or just the website (but then again,
> what
> exactly is a website now? Certainly not something that can ever be
> realized
> with paper...), etc. All of which might have different identity
> conditions.
> That why the question of individuation, for me, is at the heart of the
> Web.
>
> Also, since most objects are extended over time, you only access slices
> of
> them ("representations" if you will :) ) - whatever these objects are,
> not
> just the so-called "information objects". Hence, the issue raised by the
> Web
> is a very generic one, albeit tied to a very specific architecture. That
> is
> where the (main) difference lies in my opinion.
>

> I might go on and on but I'll leave it here. :)
>

>>> That would be my answer but Harry has another one for instance, more
>>> related to the extended-mind hypothesis.
>>

>> I also could not see a fundamental change in Harrys example. We've had
>> maps
>> for some time and those maps were updated. That more people can do this
>> now
>> in a shorter timeframe does not strike me as qualitative change.
>

>>> It seemed to me that chapter 8 made a nice link between the Web and the
>>> Semantic Web thanks to a renewed notion of content negotiation - an
>>> idea I
>>> am in deep agreement with.
>>

>> I really liked that essay - it resonated much with my mind. I just
>> wondered
>> at the implicitness the Semantic Web was presented as next step in mind
>> extension. Maybe we will one day learn important Web ontologies in
>> school and
>> use compact URIs like words :-) Or maybe the Semantic Web is simply not
>> well
>> suited or flexible enough for the human mind and other technologies will
>> be
>> used to "extend" it. The Semantic Web has its use cases anyway.
>
> Yes, and they're not necessarily those found in academic textbooks. I
> guess
> acknowledging this would prove helpful for the entire semweb community!
>
> Maybe we won't live see the advent of "The Semantic Web" in the future
> and
> it'll remain behind the scene but extant, just as it somehow remains
> implicit in the essay? :)
>

>>> That's why we might want to specify next what we talk about we we say
>>> Web" (not unlike what happens when we say "society"). I'm more
>>> interested
>>> in the architecture of the Web and its potentialities for instance but
>>> others might want to put forward other aspects.
>>

>> True :-)
>
> :)
>
>> Regards,
>
> Best!
> A.
>

> * Membre du collège d'experts Open Data de la mission Etalab du
> Premier Ministre
> * Chercheur associé chez Inria (EPI Wimmics, Sophia Antipolis)
> * Co-initiateur du projet DBpedia Francophone et SemanticPedia
> * Docteur en philosophie à Paris 1 Panthéon -Sorbonne (PHICO, EXeCO) -
> Thèse sur la philosophie du Web : disponible et annotable sur
> http://philoweb.org <http://philoweb.org/>
> * Co-chair du Community Group "
> <http://www.w3.org/community/philoweb/> Philosophy of the Web" au W3C
> * Organisateur des " <http://www.meetup.com/paris-web-of-data/>
> Rencontres du Web de données"
>

> <http://web-and-philosophy.org/> http://web-and-philosophy.org/,
>
> Twitter : @aamonnz & @PhiloWeb,
>
> PhiloWeb on <http://www.dailymotion.com/PhiloWeb> Dailymotion, PhiloWeb
> <https://lists-sop.inria.fr/sympa/info/philoweb> discussion list @INRIA

   - Membre du collège d'experts Open Data de la mission Etalab du Premier
   Ministre
   - Chercheur associé chez Inria (EPI Wimmics, Sophia Antipolis)
   - Co-initiateur du projet DBpedia Francophone et SemanticPedia
   - Docteur en philosophie à Paris 1 Panthéon -Sorbonne (PHICO, EXeCO) -
   Thèse sur la philosophie du Web : disponible et annotable sur
   http://philoweb.org
   - *Co-chair* du Community Group "Philosophy of the
Web<http://www.w3.org/community/philoweb/>"
   au W3C
   - Organisateur des "Rencontres du Web de
données<http://www.meetup.com/paris-web-of-data/>
   "

http://web-and-philosophy.org/,
Twitter : @aamonnz & @PhiloWeb,