RE: Thoughts/comments on "Philosophical Engineering: Toward a Philosophy of the Web"

Hi folks, it seems to me as an outside observer of this fascinating
conversation that you are in danger of building structures on dangerous uses
of terminology.  Information is a difficult concept, and certainly not
restricted to the web.  For example, Floridi’s Theory of Information Ethics
treats all beings as “informational objects” in a very useful way, and it
seems to me anything perceived has informational properties.  To use
“information objects” as a defining characteristic of web entities or even
web experience is therefore suspect.  Furthermore, it strikes me that this
is defining web entities in terms of their material nature, when we’d be
better searching for functional characteristics as these do not depend on
specific technical protocols, digital substrates, etc, and thus are more
future-proof.

On the other hand, it seems to me there is no real issue with what
http://times.com represents.  This is a URL, which has a precise technical
meaning and can be taken to represent the files forming the website without
worrying about what constitutes a website, and clearly does not represent
any other ontological type of being, such as the organisation.  That is not
to say that the URL may not become associated with other experiences or
entities in the minds of individuals, but those are not properties of the
URL.  I think it’s very important to be 100% clear about technical terms,
such as URL’s, which have very specific meanings.  We may wish to discuss
the manner in which people (mis)use them for other purposes, such as
referencing the organisation, but we need to understand such usages have no
impact on the precise and prior technical meanings.

Regards,

Brandt Dainow

http://nuim.academia.edu/BrandtDainow