RE: ARIA All The Things

From: Fred Esch [mailto:fesch@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 27 October 2015 23:52

[...]

"In the SVG accessibility world, we are looking at user agents adding a better keyboard navigation for non AT users and improving the styles of the graphics for users for non AT users. Some of these things we would like to see happen through media queries in the host language. Others like providing better navigation will mean the user agent will need to look at markup."

This is the point – sometimes the solution is in the host language (or should be added to the host language), sometimes it exists (or should be added) to another language, and sometimes it's ARIA.

The process of determining which is the right solution is valuable in itself. The work Chaals and I have been doing writing SVG test cases and fixing existing SVG is one example. Identifying and documenting what works/doesn't work in the host language, what can/can't be fixed using existing technologies, means we have a better understanding of where the gaps are – and from there what the best solution (or combination of solutions) might be.

Léonie.

--

Senior accessibility engineer @PacielloGroup @LeonieWatson