Re: Issue-742: Proposal aria-destination

From: Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:24:10 +0200
To: 'PF' <public-pfwg@w3.org>, "'Richard Schwerdtfeger'" <schwer@us.ibm.com>, "John Foliot" <john.foliot@deque.com>
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 15:59:01 +0200, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
wrote:

> Chaals McCathie Nevile wrote:
>>
>> An alternative approach would be to use the rev attribute for this case,
>> as this seems to be a pretty sound use case.
>
> Small problem there though Chaals: @rev is now obsolete in HTML5...
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/#obsolete-attributes

Yes. I actually checked, and meant to be more explicit, as I was for some
of the rel values that ahd been proposed for HTML4 and not taken up at the
time.

But that's a decision, in part based on little interest in implementation,
presumably in turn based on no compelling use case.

If DPub or COGA or anyone else want to make things into standards and ship
them, we get use cases, requirements, and presumably implementation
commitment (without that, dreaming up ideas is just a pleasant pastime
anyway).

Attributes have been removed, and then reinstated, before now, based on
compelling use cases, a sense that a new thing of the same name isn't an
improvement, and demonstrated implementation uptake.

cheers