From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2015 12:45 PM
To: public-pfwg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Action-1734, Action-1708, Action-1709: Proposal for a Figure Role

Hi Jason,

This is in response to this post from you: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Oct/0025.html and my action item 1734.

I spoke with Steve Faulkner and he stated captions were more being used as descriptions and not basic captions. Consequently He had asked that a reference to a caption be a reference to a description and by default this meant an aria-describedby mapping to the long description. In HTML Steve was going to map <caption> through an aria-describedby relationship.

... Note: we are talking about extended descriptions in which case we would not want the results to be stringified and I think we can address this by placing a new type of extended Role attribute on the caption area.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger