Re: Action-1708, Action-1709: Proposal for a Figure Role

Yes, the reason for that is that Figure is also used in SVG and expose a
separate figure and for that you would not always have a caption.

If WCAG would like to enforce a caption for HTML figures they can do that.
That is a compliance issue.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger