Re: aria-interactive and the authoring/debug process problems

Dominic, Rich,

I think the definition of interactive needed to address bug 27866 would be
quite different from what is in the current proposal. The issue raised in
bug 27866 is important but very different from the issues addressed by
this proposal. The fact that some of the same words are being used,
especially the word "interactive", really is coincidental.

I believe interpreting the current aria-interactive proposal as both a
resolution to bug 27866 and a resolution the table mapping gaps would lead
to very substantial confusion, especially for content authors and AT
developers.

At this time, I think we need to focus on whether or not the group wants
to resolve the table mapping gap with the kind of approach proposed in the
current aria-interactive description. It does not necessarily need to be
called aria-interactive. During the teleconference, there were no strong
objections to that approach so it is the current plan.

John is questioning the wisdom of this plan. As this conversation
progresses, I am starting to lean in the same direction -- it would be
better to add separate table roles and not have a property that makes such
a radical transformation in mapping. But, a couple people leaning that way
is different from a clearly stated and well-supported objection.

There is a form of precedence; We have some properties that effect
mapping. aria-pressed and aria-haspopup on buttons are 2 such examples.
But, in both cases, those just special case button. They do not transform
the button into a completely different entity with significantly different
semantics.

The aria-interactive proposal is fundamentally different. It is designed
as a property that flip-flops the semantics of a role between the
structural and widget branches of the ontology.

One potential problem I see with controlling such a flip in semantics with
a property is that the states and properties that are common in the widget
branch are quite different from those in the structure branch. So
shouldn't the states and properties supported on an interactive widget
role that is "flipped" into a non-interactive structure change along with
the flip? Similarly, shouldn't the states and properties supported for an
element with a structural role transformed into an interactive widget be
different from those supported on that structural role? But, without a
specific role that defines which states and properties are supported for
the flipped element, how do user agents and authors know which are
supported and what they will do?

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com