RE: Issues with HTML5 placeholder and related Accessibility API mappings

Bryan,

Maybe evaluation tools should help developer understand the complexities of labeling form controls and can provide feedback to the development team on how there markup is being interpreted to assistive technologies.  If there are certain combinations that should not be used the feedback could be a warning or a violation.

Jon

From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2015 5:51 AM
To: Bryan Garaventa
Cc: PF
Subject: Re: Issues with HTML5 placeholder and related Accessibility API mappings

Hi Bryan,

On 22 March 2015 at 17:00, Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>> wrote:
Hi, so just to clarify the problem, there are two primary issues regarding placeholder.

1. The naming calculation sets placeholder as the preferred labelling mechanism over title, which contradicts all historical guidance to use either the label element or title attribute as reliable methods for doing this.

Historical guidance does into take into account new features.
Name calculation also puts aria-label and aria-labelledby before label element and title attribute, which contradicts all historical guidance.
I suggest that when a visible label is not provided using the label element, providing a sometimes visible label (via placeholder) is better than providing a sometimes visible label (for mouse users) via title (never visible on mobile/ touch screens and most desktop browsers for keyboard only users)

I suggest that using placeholder as fallback for an accessible name will bring about a better user experience. I suggest this from looking at how placeholder is being used in the wild.
Here is another 5565 examples of usage of the placeholder attribute (from partial grep of top 87,000 web site home pages: source latest data set 2015-01-08 (780 Mb)<http://files.paciellogroup.com/HTMLData/webdevdata.org-2015-01-07-112944.7z> 87,000 pages.)

LARGE HTML file (6mb)
http://www.html5accessibility.com/HTML5data/top15000-placeholder.html

Don't get me wrong, I consider the added complexity to the name/description calculation to be problematic and one we have to work out in conjunction with browser implementers as the current non interoperable implementation across bowsers helps no one especially users.

2. The accessibility tree property mappings for placeholder don’t make sense, because if you include a valid form field that includes a title, a placeholder, and a referenced tooltip via aria-describedby, it breaks the available properties within the object for conveying all of this information at the same time for AT users. It also doesn’t make sense to put placeholder in the name property, and title in the description property, because it should be the other way around, not counting the addition of an explicit description via aria-describedby.

I think that the idealised best practice and reality of use are colliding here.