Re: aria-kbdshortcuts property for review - ACTION-1642

I’m generally opposed to this addition. The major problems yet to be addressed are:

1. This does not account for cross-platform usage. E.g. <button> shortcut is space bar on Mac, Enter on Windows, and that’s the simplest example. The “meta” keyword is a start, but that only helps with simple shortcuts, like copy/paste.

2. This does not add support for actually capturing the keys, so there is a high potential for mismatch via author error, leading to user confusion. I feel this is the strongest case against this new property.

3. There is no internationalization support. E.g. What is Ctrl+M on a Russian or Hindi keyboard?

4. Minor nits: “kbdshortcuts” is a hybridization of abbreviation and not, and also pluralized for some reason.

In order to make this work consistently, you’d need something more akin to @srcset, but with an added DOM interface to account for keyboard event interception.

I don’t believe this proposal is ready for the spec. At a minimum, it should be marked as at-risk for these reasons.

James