Re: [aapi] RE: describedby pointing to display:none element (action 1104)

In MSAA, aria-describedby content is exposed as AccDescription. Screen
readers like NVDA, and in some cases JAWS, too, read the accDescription
as secondary announcement after the name, role, and states of a control
when it receives focus or focus is queried and the control happens to
have one.

accDescription is usually not picked up automatically in the virtual
buffers of respective screen readers, except of course where it is
exposed in the accessible tree of a page anyway.

having said all that, I think there is a bug in Firefox where content
that is hidden via said CSS is not exposed as AccDescription to screen
readers. So content that is to be exposed has to be either visible
anyway or hidden via a screen reader compatible means.

As for actual usage: I have mostly seen aria-describedby used in
examples to show what it does, but not really in actual accessible web
apps much. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist at all, just that I
haven't come across it much in my day to day usage.

Marco