Re: Allowed values of aria-autocomplete for the combobox role

Hi Bryan,

On 2015-12-01 1:46 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> I don’t really understand the difference between inline or both,
> inline makes sense to me since it would update the value of the field

Not quite.  In the inline use case, say you have typed "Br" such that
the text caret is just after the 'r'.  The autocomplete suggestion is
appended after the caret *and* is selected text. Visually, the text
after the caret is highlighted.  For example, after typing "Br", the
selected text suggestion might be "ian".

Conceptually, the value of the field is not updated until the user
confirms the suggested completion.  If the user rejects the suggestion
by continuing to type, the selected text is erased, and a new completion
is suggested after the new location of the caret. So, if the user typed
a 'y' next, then the "ian" is deleted, and replaced, say, by "an".

Once the user confirms the suggestion, then the value of the field is set.

> that has focus when pressing Up/Down, but what does both mean?

"Both" means that in addition to the inline suggestion, a listbox pops
up and shows a list of possible completions.  The first option in the
list may be the same as the one shown inline.  In the above example, at
the point where the user has typed "Br", the list might show "Brian",
"Brianne", "Britney", and "Bryan".

A value of "none" means that none of the above happens.  No suggested
completions are added as selected text to the text field, and if a
listbox is opened, all possible options are shown.

In terms of creating a combobox from divs, spans, etc., it's much easier
to create one that doesn't do autocompletion.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -