From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2015 4:44 PM
To: faulkner steve <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: public-svg-a11y@w3.org; WAI Protocols & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>;
HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Subject: Action-1715: figure role

Hi Steve,

I have an action to get with you to get agreement on on a new ARIA Figure
role. We need this for SVG Accessibility as we need a mechanism to isolate
figures that could be pulled into a list of figures by assistive
technologies. Since we are doing this for ARIA and SVG  we would also like
to reuse it for HTML. Please look at the following text and let me know if
this definition would be sufficient so that HTML could use this role as the
default native host language semantics for the figure role.

figure

A perceivable section of content which supports the main document, and
should be easily locatable regardless of its position in the layout. A
figure may contain a graphical document, an image, or other content such as
code snippets or example text. A figure should be referenced from the main
text but does not need to be displayed directly where it is referenced.

A figure MAY have an associate label or caption, or an associated
description.

Assistive technologies
<http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#dfn-assistive-technologies
>  SHOULD enable users to quickly navigate to figures. Mainstream user
agents <http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#dfn-user-agent>
MAY enable users to quickly navigate to figures.

The figure role would be a subclass of role section.

Name From: Author
Accessible Name Required: False

Cheers,
Rich