Re: More thoughts on ISSUE-736 -- names for list items (Resending to fix links)

Hi Joanie, (et al)

On 2015-08-19 11:57 AM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
> An example of accessible names going (imho) horribly awry with list
> items can be seen in doxygen-generated pages, such as this one:
> http://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/doxygen/
>
> If I view that page in Firefox and use Accerciser to get the name of the
> first list item of the accessible list associated with the left-hand
> pane, I get:
>
> 'PulseAudio\xa0Introduction\xa0Simple API\xa0Asynchronous
> API\xa0Threads\xa0Error Handling\xa0pkg-configSimple APIAsynchronous
> APIChannel MapsSample Format SpecificationsVolume Control\xa0Deprecated
> ListData StructuresFilesExamples'

That looks like a name-from-contents computation, which follows from the
spec:
- Listitems and treeitems require an accessible name.
- both roles allow name-from-contents.

In the absence of an author supplied name (e.g., @aria-label), browsers
are thereby required to create the name from the contents of the item.

Your results are an argument for the author to supply a name to avoid
these long names-from-contents.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -