Re: [REVIEW REQUESTED][ARIA] placeholder

On 04/03/2015 09:44 AM, Matthew King wrote:
> Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com> wrote on 04/02/2015
> 12:36:56 PM:
>> Hey. I'm agree that placeholder has different semantics than label
>> and value but I'm still not certain about how this semantics can be
>> used by AT.
>> The point is if there's no consumers for it then there's
>> no great benefit from having it.
>
> We will not have AT consumers until we have a way for it to be consumed.
>
>> SO do we have any data how AT
>> developers want to handle @placeholder?
>
> AT developers have had not the option to handle it yet so no data yet.

Well, the non-ARIA variety has been supported in WebKitGtk since late
2012. It's exposed as an object attribute:
https://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WebCore/accessibility/atk/WebKitAccessibleWrapperAtk.cpp#L442

It's exposed the very same way in Gtk+:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/a11y/gtkentryaccessible.c#n415

What Orca is supposed to do is present it in speech and braille when the
entry gains focus if no text is present. Sadly, Orca presents it prior
to the text when text is present too. Not sure when that regression was
introduced, but I will fix it today so that it's only presented when
it's displayed.

Ultimately, ATK should have proper API for this. But given that
placeholders only apply to entries, the fact that it is currently an
object attribute doesn't especially bother me. ;)

What else would you like to know?
--joanie