RE: Operable Grid Cell

I agree that it would be great to find a way to convey gridcell type differences within interactive grid constructs.

For example, one grid may contain gridcell nodes that control editable strings, toggles, listboxes, and variable embedded control types within one gridcell as mentioned. Without a mechanism to identify the differences when arrowing between each, the key commands for each can’t be reliably conveyed.

From: Alexander Surkov [mailto:surkov.alexander@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 10:55 AM
To: Yura Zenevich
Cc: Joseph Scheuhammer; Alexander Surkov; W3C WAI Protocols & Formats
Subject: Re: Operable Grid Cell

Hi. I think I prefer improving ARIA markup flexibility over introduction the new roles. So being able to specify bunch of roles could be a nice solution here, like role="gridcell button". Also I like the idea to extend list of allowed attributes for roles like having aria-pressed on gridcell would point out the gridcell also has button behavior. (It might not work for this particular case since aria-pressed is used for toggle buttons though).