RE: ACTION-1442: Draft spec text for aria-current and aria-currentfor

You could imagine a process, e.g. of applying for a visa.

Process involves 3 steps:

Personal info

Education and professional info

Employer info

Each step can easily consist of more than one webpages including lists and
tabs (for personal info you have family including a page with tabs where you
select merital status, and fill in the inforrmation relevant to yours …
dependents and so on).

Your progress through the application is indicated with a list of links
where your current step in the process is indicated.

This cannot match the current page title, since each step consists of
multiple pages, some including tabs.

We could saturate the title element and make it very long to compensate for
the complexity, but it is generally not popular with web developers in my
experience, plus end users start losing track of page titles that are overly
long.

I have not seen this precise scenario, but I have seen similar processes and
pages that are actually part of two separate processes, where current status
of each is indicated using CSS in two separate lists on the same page.

There is no aria landmark or labelling that I can currently think of that
would conveniently indicate active element in a set of elements.

We would not want to create a landmark of a single element (if we were, it
would have to be a region, since navigation would be misleading, and region
sits in this rather uncomfortable area between a landmark and not a landmark
and subsequently assistive technology support is inconsistent).