Re: ACTION-1442: Draft spec text for aria-current and aria-currentfor

So do we need aria-current/aria-active at all having aria-activedescendant?
If the container is not focusable then aria-activedescendant would indicate
to current/active element. If it's focusable then it points to
active/focusable/focused element. If that's bad idea then I'm curious about
the difference between aria-activedescendant and aria-current/active within
focusable container, for example

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 6:35 AM, White, Jason J <jjwhite@ets.org> wrote:
>
>> This discussion has been informative, but it motivates a call for
>> clarification of the semantic differences between the proposed aria-current
>> state, aria-selected and aria-activedescendant. As I understand the
>> differences:
>>
>> aria-activedescendant implies that the element has the keyboard focus.
>>

> No, this isn't necessarily true at all. Suppose you have a listbox with 10
> choices. The 5th one is highlighted. If the listbox itself is focused, then
> the active descendant tells you that the 5th item is the one that's active
> and is the focused item within the focused control. However, if focus
> leaves the listbox, the 5th item may still be highlighted; it's still the
> active item within the list and it's where focus would go if you focused
> the listbox again.
>
> For that reason, I'm leaning towards calling this proposed new attribute
> aria-active. It indicates that an item within a group is the active one,
> whether or not it currently has focus or not. It tells you something about
> what happens when the control does have focus.
>
> In the case of the listbox, if it's a single-select listbox then perhaps
> "active" and "selected" mean the same thing. But if it's a multi-select
> listbox, only one can be active but many can be selected.

Iirc on Windows you can deselect all items in single-select listbox and
have current/active/focused item only.