Re: First draft of ARIA 1.1. "text" role

On Nov 10, 2014, at 2:14 PM, Alice Boxhall <aboxhall@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 1:12 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Quoting from the next line: "Because the element is no longer an image, the role-specific host language labeling mechanism (e.g. img@alt) no longer applies."
>
> I was actually wondering about that: why does the role affect the alternative text computation? The @src attribute will still work, after all. Why would we want to ignore the @alt attribute? Is there any chance the aria-label will not simply be a duplicate?

The text alternative computation already takes role into consideration. For example, if will not traverse the contents of roles that do not list "roleFrom: contents"

I could be convinced to allow @alt here, but if the user redefined the role, why should be role-specific labeling mechanism still work? If we allow @alt, should we allow other @summary on <table role="group" summary="foo">? Is that a slippery slope? What about labeling mechanisms in other host languages like SVG?

James