Re: ARIA 1.1 heartbeat ready

On Jun 2, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do have few concerns
>
> 1) A concern may be unrelated but aria-checked doesn't look clear [1], 'undefined' value is not defined or not linked, if it's supposed to define 'default value'/'missed value' then it's not in sync with implicit value for "checkbox" role [2]

This may be an artifact b/c aria-checked used to be "allowed" on more roles. I think we've sufficiently cleaned up the taxonomy now so that aria-checked may be able to move back to the true/false/mixed datatype instead of true/false/mixed/undefined. It currently states that checked defaults to "undefined" on all roles except radio, checkbox, menuitemcheckbox, menuitemradio, etc. Previously it was allowed (but irrelevant) on option and maybe others. That may no longer be necessary.

I've made my objections to @aria-describedat very clear in the past. I think it's *even worse* than longdesc. If someone wants to take an action to attempt to fix it, I'm happy to contribute opinions to suggested edits, but other than marking the feature "at-risk" or removing it, I'm unwilling to spend any more time on it.

I personally think @aria-describedat is poorly designed, under-specified, and unsalvageable. It was a bad idea as longdesc, and it's a bad idea here, too. After voicing strong objection, I was overruled and put it in the 1.1 spec in it's current form.

To my knowledge, we have no plans to implement @aria-describedat in WebKit.

> 3) Just curious what is a reason of aria-orientation change?

We just chose some reasonable defaults per role. e.g. slide defaults to horizontal, scrollbar defaults to vertical, etc. You only need to add it if your control uses one of these less common variations.

> Thanks.

Thanks for the quality feedback as always.