RE: Suggested ARIA state

Léonie Watson <lwatson@paciellogroup.com> wrote on 01/27/2014 01:53:31 AM:
> If we move away from the idea of contextual values, I’m inclined to
> lean towards aria-current rather than aria-active though. On the
> assumption the former would be reported by screen readers as
> “Current” and the latter as “Active”, “Current” seems to fit more
> easily into the page/step flow.
>
> Previous/current/next seems more user friendly (to me at least) than
> previous/active/next.

That sounds like you assume the most common application is in a wizard
context. I actually envision this being used in practically every site
navigator on practically every web page on the web. That is, if a set of
navigation links has a visual indicator of which one of the links
represents the page that is displayed, this state or property should be
set for that link.

An alternative interpretation is understanding current as "not old or out
of date".

I see the real issue here is that the name of a property in english should
not necessarily determine the words used by a screen reader to present it.
While it is good to have a useful name so that authors more intuitively
understand the purpose, assistive technology developers should still read
the definition of the property and come up with their own ways of
presenting it.

Here is a list of some names I have considered:

aria-active
aria-current
aria-currentlydisplayed
aria-displayed
aria-nowdisplayed
aria-displayednow
aria-nowshown
aria-nowshowing
etc.

I am not sure I have a favorite.

We might also want to consider if we want to use this property in tablists
and accordians. It may be much more clear than selected and could help us
resolve some of the issues with different interaction models. Whether or
not it would be mapped differently from selected in all APIs is yet
another issue.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com

One downside is that would complicate the work of the author as they would
have to provide an appropriate value vs just a true/false or possibly no
value. We could resolve that by allowing null if that is allowable for
properties.”

That’s true. If it helps keep things simple for authors, I’m not wed to
the idea of having values other than true/false.

If we move away from the idea of contextual values, I’m inclined to lean
towards aria-current rather than aria-active though. On the assumption the
former would be reported by screen readers as “Current” and the latter as
“Active”, “Current” seems to fit more easily into the page/step flow.
Previous/current/next seems more user friendly (to me at least) than
previous/active/next.

Léonie.