Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC); Publish 1 ARIA FPWD & 2 ARIA Heartbeats

Matt,

Thanks for your comments on the respec output.  Since I maintain that let
me address your comments specifically.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:23 AM, Matthew King <mattking@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> There is a lot of discussion of the text role, with which I still have
> significant concerns, and of text related to aria-hidden. But, is consensus
> on major changes in the spec required before a heart beat publication? If
> so, I think there should be further discussion of the text role before
> publication.
>
> I am also concerned with the accessibility of the spec itself. The respec
> generated html needs quite a bit of work still. Perhaps it is fine to put
> the heart beat out with such issues. I would rather we didn't. But, if it
> is major work to correct them, it may be better to just get a draft out.
>
> Issues:
>
> 1. Section heading levels are not correct. Every section, regardless of
> its level, has h2. So for example, sections5, 5.1, and 5.1.1 are all H2
> instead of H2, H3, and H4.

Actually, I disagree.  Looking at the static version of the documents, each
sub-level of heading has a higher numbered section.  Section 5, for
example, is an H2.  Section 5.1 is an H3.  This is not something we can
change.

We also have "H" elements on the role, state, and property definitions.
These are not section headings - they are just definitions.  They are
currently H3, which is the same as the heading level of the section they
are in.  I imagine they could be increased to H4.  Would that help?

We can also have ReSpec add aria-level to each heading.  It used to do
that, but people complained that the levels were wrong.  I can put it back
easily enough.  The problem is that in W3C specs the only "H1" is the
title.  Which is asinine, but there you are. So all the real section
headers (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) end up being aria-level 2.  Which is silly from a
table of contents perspective.  So when I implemented it I put aria-level 1
on the top level (e.g., section 2), 2 on the next level, etc.  Steve
Faulkner and others objected to this, and the PF editors agreed that I
should just remove it.  So I have.  Assuming we were to re-implement the
use of aria-level on section headings, how would you like to see the levels
expressed?

> 2. the permalinks are included inside the heading tags. It would improve
> readability if they were not a child of the heading.

For visual formatting purposes it would be challenging to pull them out of
that tag.  I will look at it though.

> 3. Headings have aria-describedby pointing to the 1st paragraph after the
> heading. I do not see the benefit. The downside is extra verbosity. I don't
> think it models best practice to use aria-describedby in a document in this
> way.

 Actually, headings do not.  Rather - some heading elements that are
"definitions", as in of roles, states, and properties, have describedby.
This is because they are "terms" and are being linked to their defining
text.  This is similar to a definition list where the DL and DT elements
need to be connected in similar ways.  If this is an incorrect usage,
please bring it up to the PF Editor's Group.

> 4. All the notes have heading tags. If the notes are going to have
> headings, then I believe they should be a subheading under the heading of
> the section in which they exist. For example, a note in a level 4 section
> like 5.1.1 would have an H5.

Unfortunately, notes are a special class of animal and they don't get H*
elements.  They don't have a heading "tag".  They do have a role of heading
on the heading portion of the note.  Sometimes the heading of a note just
says "Note" - so  that's sort of silly.  But a note may have a more complex
header (e.g., Note: some text about the note) in which case the
role='header' indication might be more meaningful.

--
Shane McCarron