RE: Using aria-selected on focusable elements

Alexander Surkov wrote:
"I think I still don't have a good perception of it. So more questions.

> To differentiate the link leading to the current page in the main
> navigation of a website:

in what means current? Is it currently loaded page? If so what the point to
refer to the same page?"

Yes, the page that is currently loaded into the browser. The point being to
programmatically express what is commonly expressed visually, without
causing other complications like removing the link from the tab order.

"> Similarly to indicate the currently selected step in a process
> indication
> bar:

this one is used to indicate where the user stopped, so he can continue to
browse and when he comes back then it's easy to see where to continue? Does
that sound right?"

I don't think so. I'm thinking it would indicate the current step in the
process. In other words the step/page that is currently displayed in the
browser.

"If so then should new attribute be really restricted to focusable elements?
Isn't it rather a "floating"
landmark?"

I don't think it would need to be a landmark. Just an indication of state.

"> A visual indication is easy to provide in these circumstances, but
> programmatic indication is more cumbersome.

I see. I'm curious whether it shouldn't be a part of HTML spec."

Yes, quite possibly. I raised it here because it was already filed against
ARIA 1.1 in the PF tracker.

Léonie.