Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC) Web Notifications Comments

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 20:15:46 +0100, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
wrote:

> If you have objections, questions, additions, or edits to propose,
> please respond to this email no later than close of business Boston time
> Friday 4 October.

> James Nurthen writes:

>>  * The API specifies the ability to supply an icon without the ability
>>    to specify any text alternative for the icon. The Spec should make
>>    clear that the message supplied must make sense even if the icons
>>    are not available.

I think our experience suggests that people *will* use the icons to have
meaning that is not communicated independently of the icon. I suggest that
we actually need an ability to provide alternative content for the icon.
Having redundant information in the notification itself makes no sense -
space in notifications is typically at a premium, so this would represent
pretty second-rate design.

Given that notifications are created in JS more or less in real time, a
plain string is enough (assuming that the internationalisation story is
really correct).

cheers

Chaals