Re: Comment on ARIA 1.0: Problematic conformance requirement for aria-hidden

It might be that it needs to be clarified whether one must use
@aria-hidden="true" *also* when one uses @hidden. However, in
principle, I do not agree that clarification is needed:
aria-hidden=TRUE is in that case *not* needed. Why not? Because ARIA
says that the host language feature should be used, rather than the
ARIA feature, whenever there is one. And in the case of @hidden, then
is written in HTML5 that it implies aria-hidden="true".

I think it is much more crucial what ARIA says about the situations
where @hidden is *not* used but the element still is intended to be
hidden: Should ARIA, then, say SHOULD rather than MUST?

I personally think that it perhaps should say SHOULD and not MUST.

We must consider that HTML5's @hidden is not intended to be used on
elements that  are only temporarily hidden or for content that is
hidden only for presentational reasons.

The problem, however, is that ARIA says that one, in these situations -
the temporarily hidden situations - should use aria-hidden=true. Why is
that problematic? Well - very many authors are much more proficient
with CSS than with JavaScript. And with CSS, it is easy to temporarily
hide things. However, if one adds aria-hidden="true" to a temporarily
hidden element, then one must use javascript to set it to
aria-hidden="false".

I personally know, with myself, that I am not going to use
aria-hidden="true" on all temporarily hidden elements.

Leif H Silli

Steve Faulkner, Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:13:59 +0100: