Re: About checkbox, Menuitemcheckbox, Menuitemradio

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

public-pfwg-comments-request@w3.org wrote on 06/13/2008 04:01:36 PM:

> Refer: ARIA V1.0 of Feb 4, 2008
>
> 1. Menuitemcheckbox : Should this be called checkboxgroup instead, like
> radiogroup?
> 2. A checkboxgroup is a collection of checkboxes and can be tri-state in
the
> current paradigm.

There is no such role in platform accessibility apis. We have a group role.

> But a checkbox cannot  be tri-state. A checkbox can only be checked or
> unchecked. Just like a menu item cannot be collapsed / expanded but a
menu
> can be.

That is untrue. It is very common to have a checkbox with the undefined
state. I don't understand your second comment.

>  Secondly, the state of a checkboxgroup is set not by the user directly
but
> by the UA based on the  states of the checkboxes contained in it.

We don't have a checkbox group.

> 3. Frankly it is not very useful for a  checkboxgroup to have 3 states.
Its
> state should be  either 0 (zero) or of the type x/y. Example 4/7 or 10/20
> where the numerator conveys how many are checked and the denominator
conveys
> how many checkboxes are present in the group.

We don't have a checkboxgroup.

> It is not clear why a menuitemcheckbox  or radiogroup that is a menuitem
> needs to be distinguished when they are menuitems by being called
> menuitemcheckbox or menuitemradio.

platform accessibility apis have tehse roles. Otherwise you have to figure
it out from
two different roles.

> I suggest do away with menuitemcheckbox and menuitemradio.    Introduce a
> checkboxgroup (with state = 0 or x/y as described above). A checkboxgroup
or
> radiogroup can be within a menu or outside a menu.

Again their is no checkboxgroup. Radiogroups are groups are groups of radio
buttons where
only one can be selected at at time. This is unique about radiogroups.

> * Pardon me  for sending these comments well after suggested
review /comment
> date.

not a problem.