Re: @purpose="language"

Hi John, All:

Trying to focus in on my particular concern, I've trimmed John's very
helpful email down a bit ...

John Foliot writes:
> Go ahead, try it (and you'll likely see that the form input for language
> will remain blank, because currently I am unaware of a *browser* that
> stores that data - if you use a password manager, it *MAY* have stored the
> response value you wish to use).

This may be true, however it is equally true that the OS does store this
kind of data, though it it isn't necessarily doing a very proper job of it Some examples--only some:

Windows 10:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/unattend/microsoft-windows-international-core-userlocale

Apple
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/nslocale

Android:
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/change-androids-language-locale-per-app-basis-0172900/

Linux:
https://jdhao.github.io/2019/09/27/linux_locale_settings/

I would submit browsers do use this data, even if they don't expose it
at a user level as John says. In point of fact this data is important to
the operating environment as a whole, even though our W3C remit is
scoped only for web.

So, here's my problem: Do we really want to introduce yet another
competing data collection point? Or is this possibly a job for Media
Queries (along the lines of our APA demo last week)? Or, as has been
raised in comments on our APA demo last week, shouldn't this data be
revisited and revamped at the OS level?

Note the comments in the cited Apple article about not supporting
bilingual users well. I would submit no OS does a bang up job of that,
and that this is part of our problem.

Best,

Janina

--