Re: Personalization Task Force meeting minutes

Thanks John, some very considered points

 >   * JS: "Suggesting we want to be in the DOM. We need to decide early so
 >     we can understand what we are asking from the browsers."
 >     JF: By using data-*, we *will* be exposed in the DOM *today*,

+1. I did point out in the meeting there is an API for accessing the
data-* attributes in addition to that used for accessing HTML specified
attributes.

 >     browsers will not (at this time) do anything else with the data or
 >     values. (I don't think that's a bad thing per-se)

But web sites may do. There was a comment fed back to us that data-* is
for INTERNAL site use. If we effectively reserve a data-* for our early
spec there is then a risk we that will clash with someone's website use
so they cannot easily include our spec to explore it.

However, this is pretty much a non issue right now for the reasons you
point out later and will always be a tiny risk. So we can probably
ignore it. I'll now shut up about this.

 >   * JS: "We can work with them on what the prefix should be. We need to
 >     lock down a prefix."
 >     JF: Do we?
[snip]

This was my question too and I still don't have a clear understanding if
we are at that point of implementation yet or should concentrate on
getting feedback using the temporary attachment mechanism of data-*.

Are we able to define when we will know we are at (or close to) that
point? As you point out it seems we need more data first (pun intended).

One suggestion for moving now was it can take a long time but that seems
to assume we know all the answers already. It was also pointed out that
even if we do have a few committed 'users' it should be relatively easy
for them to search and replace the updated attachment mechanism.

Steve