Re: Rules.CSV format as alternative to htaccess

I think KISS - so I would keep it just one media type per row so that
we can process it without being too clever.

It's tricky to do "proper" content-negotiation according to the HTTP
specs in .htaccess (e.g. respecting the q= parameters), so the easiest
approach is probably something like

https://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/#recipe3example

with special handling for text/html so it becomes the default for
browsers (unless there's a row with no content-type, which would
become the default).

I think to let Apache 2 do the content negotiation properly you would
need the actual files - perhaps that would be a way, with 0-length
dummy-files and MultiViews which you could internally redirect to
first  (and have outgoing HTTP redirections for) - but then you would
put much more constraints on which paths you could support without
causing a conflict.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science