Re: Problems and Opportunities at purl.org

I started
https://github.com/stain/w3id-csv

it's quite simple start.. but it uses a CSV file like

https://github.com/stain/w3id-csv/blob/master/purl_example.csv
which matches the schema David Wood mentioned.

and then generates a bunch of .htaccess files.

You can test it on a dummy install of Apache httpd with Docker - see the README.

Obviously now this script is quite naive in that it makes a folder for
every purl.org entry, which (in addition to making loads of files)
would be a bit wrong (e.g. the purl /fred/soup.html  would make the
fred/soup.html/.htaccess which would mean an intermediate HTTP
redirect from soup.html to soup.html/  -- and I've not gone through
the different types yet to do subtree matching or the correct HTTP
redirection status code.

So one simple improvement would be to check if the path ends with a /
in purl.org or not - and then group those entries within the parent
path so there would be a bigger .htaccess.  However I think we want to
avoid a single large top-level .htaccess for registrations like
http://purl.org/pav  without a trailing / ?

As for conflicts this should be modified to only replace it's "own"
files by having a magic "#header".

We also talked about having a "native" CSV file approach for w3id.org
- so this could be modified then to have a better file format that we
can convert the purl.org dump into.