Problems and Opportunities at purl.org

From: David Wood <david@3roundstones.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:16:23 -0500
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
To: public-perma-id@w3.org
Hi all,

OCLC has been having significant trouble maintaining purl.org <http://purl.org/>, which has led to both a lot of discussions on the PURLz software community list, but reductions in service.

Logins at purl.org <http://purl.org/> are currently disallowed, so PURLs are not maintainable. Searching is also disabled. Libraries and researchers are suffering from the loss.

The PURLz discussions are being held here (subscription required):
  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/persistenturls <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/persistenturls>

Monica Omodei of the Australian National Data Service proposed that this group and/or the operators of the w3id.org <http://w3id.org/> service, simply take over purl.org. Jeff Young at OCLC, the current part-time maintainer of purl.org <http://purl.org/>, thinks it is a good idea.

The question is, do we wish to take over purl.org <http://purl.org/>? Could we? I am (very) willing to put time and effort into this, but note that the challenges include providing a user-friendly user interface over the current w3id.org <http://w3id.org/> system.

What say you?

Regards,
Dave
--