Re: Demos for virtual meeting of the WPWG

On 2020-03-19 16:52, Nick Telford-Reed (w3c) wrote:
> Hello everyone
> We really love demos. If you've got anything you can show us (real demos, screen mocks, doodles on a piece of paper), please let us know.
> Hope everyone is doing ok - be safe and let's look after each other.

If "everyone" includes non-members I could imagine attending virtually and talk a bit about Saturn and how it uses PaymentRequest [1] as well as demo it.  If not, here are a few links which may be worth looking into:

Saturn/Open Banking Wallet is an "Omnichannel" payment authorization system based on the "Mediator" [2] concept which means that the very same API, Security and UI is used on the Web as at the POS terminal.

To accomplish this the "Wallet" API is based on JSON messaging through an asynchronous bi-directional channel rather than JavaScript.  The link below shows the payment request message:
https://cyberphone.github.io/doc/saturn/bank2bank-payment.html#2

My hope is that this will (one day) also be usable in a future BLE/Mediator Web standard, finally getting away from clunky (and less secure) QR schemes which today "rule" in the Desktop/Web + Mobile Wallet scenario.

Another hope is replacing QR with an NFC/BLE connector which would permit the "Wallet" to be used in places where the user may not have data connectivity like in underground parking garages.

It seems that Saturn (after four years...) still is the only public effort addressing ubiquitous account-to-account payments.  With the recent push by ECB and EMPSA to create a less fractured mobile payment landscape in Europe, a slight excitement has arrived :)

That the current Android "APK" is a mere 1.7 MB is an indication that (at least) the design objective "simple" has been achieved.

The JSON canonicalization scheme which is instrumental in Saturn is in the last phase of the RFC publishing process.

Thanx,
Anders

1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-payments-wg/2019Sep/0000.html
2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-payments-wg/2020Mar/0000.html