Re: ServiceWorker "Modal Window"

On 2020-01-27 11:50, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> Hi Anders,
>
> Following an initial review from the TAG the decision was made to assemble some concrete use cases enabled by this feature.
> Also, Google are going to be doing some UX research.

Good.

> The biggest challenge, as I understand it, is demonstrating the ability of browsers to implement this feature in a way that is not easily phishable.
> i.e. Can we be certain that malicious websites aren't able to render something that appears to be a secure modal (but is just web content) and convince users to enter their login/payment credentials?

The "Trusted UI" has been on the road(map) for decades without really going anywhere.  Fortunately there is no problem to solve for login or payments because a properly designed 2FA scheme is unaffected by this kind of UI spoofing.  If for example a PIN is spoofed it doesn't help the attacker if the associated key is bound to the application (service worker in this case).

However, there is another attack that you need to cater for and that is traditional phishing which becomes an issue when SOP effectively is disabled.  PaymentRequest for Android preserves the security context (including cert-path) of the caller which means that login tokens etc. can be securely tied to the caller's origin. That is, "evil-example.com" will only be able to mint login assertions for "evil-example.com".

What is less clear to me is how this fits with WebAuthn and WebCrypto.  That seems like a necessity, otherwise Web2Native (my "specialty") will continue to rule.

Anders