Re: Scalability of PaymentHandler-based Systems

On 2020-04-29 09:18, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> Can you suggest which payment providers we should be encouraging to join the WG?

No, I cannot for the simple reason that payment providers rarely participate in open standardization forums like W3C, IETF or Oasis.

The only thing I know for sure (which also is easy to verify), is that the majority of existing payment providers are targeting a wider range of payment scenarios than the Payment WG do.  This affects technology choices and typically make native payment handlers the most logical path.

However, the current solution for native payment handlers is a kludge: https://cyberphone.github.io/doc/web/calling-apps-from-the-web.pdf
while this one (with respect to PaymentRequest NB), is a blocker: https://github.com/w3c/payment-request/issues/865

If you have any additional questions please send the off-list since it is apparent that this topic is of no interest to the WG members.

Anders