Re: [Agenda] Tokenization task force call on 12 December

On 15 December 2017 at 14:45, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 2017-12-15 11:06, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
>
>> For example, I would recommend we don't allow clear JSON at all but only
>> the base64 encoded data that has been signed.
>>

> Then you are all set because JWS gives you exactly what you propose.
> Current [2017-12-14] W3C writeup:

I agree.

>   {
>     supportedMethods: "https://example.com/bobpay";,
>     data: {
>       signedData: {
>         merchantIdentifier: "XXXX",
>         bobPaySpecificField: true
>       },
>       unsignedData: {...},

      dataSecurity: {
>         signature: {...},
>         signatureCertPath: "public.pem"
>       }
>     }
>   }
>
> After applying JWS in a fully standard-conformant way:
>
>   {
>     supportedMethods: "https://example.com/bobpay";,
>     data: {
>       signedData: "Base64UrlData.Base64UrlData.Base64UrlData",
>       unsignedData: {...}
>     }
>   }

> The only functional difference from the original is that the URL to the
> certificate path (supplied in an "x5u" property somewhere in the Base64Url
> data...), would have to be absolute.  This is hardly a showstopper or
> reason for creating a custom scheme.
>
> I don't recommend supporting multiple approaches this simply serves to
>> increase the attack surface.
>>
>> As Anders points out this is a contentious area or discussion even among
>> the "experts". My suggestion would be to follow the standards that are
>> gaining the most traction and adopt a profile of one of these (likely JWS)
>> that limits the options available and places some specific restrictions on
>> implementors and users to avoid known weaknesses.
>>

> The core issue has not been about security but about interoperability.
> All signature schemes are open to content attacks; in the end it really
> boils down to the quality of the implementation.
>
> JWS's support of the algorithm "none" spurred a lot of (very
> uninteresting) security discussions.  I would simply have dropped that
> option and moved on.

Agree. I would suggest we have a profile of JWS that:

1. Rejects unsignedData. (i.e. There is only the encoded binary version so
developers can't mistakenly use the clear text without verifying it matches
the binary data that was signed.)
2. Has a limited set of allowed algorithms