Re: [Agenda] Tokenization task force call on 12 December

On 2017-12-15 11:06, Adrian Hope-Bailie wrote:
> For example, I would recommend we don't allow clear JSON at all but only the base64 encoded data that has been signed.

Then you are all set because JWS gives you exactly what you propose.  Current [2017-12-14] W3C writeup:

   {
     supportedMethods: "https://example.com/bobpay";,
     data: {
       signedData: {
         merchantIdentifier: "XXXX",
         bobPaySpecificField: true
       },
       unsignedData: {...},
       dataSecurity: {
         signature: {...},
         signatureCertPath: "public.pem"
       }
     }
   }

After applying JWS in a fully standard-conformant way:

   {
     supportedMethods: "https://example.com/bobpay";,
     data: {
       signedData: "Base64UrlData.Base64UrlData.Base64UrlData",
       unsignedData: {...}
     }
   }

The only functional difference from the original is that the URL to the certificate path (supplied in an "x5u" property somewhere in the Base64Url data...), would have to be absolute.  This is hardly a showstopper or reason for creating a custom scheme.

> I don't recommend supporting multiple approaches this simply serves to increase the attack surface.
>
> As Anders points out this is a contentious area or discussion even among the "experts". My suggestion would be to follow the standards that are gaining the most traction and adopt a profile of one of these (likely JWS) that limits the options available and places some specific restrictions on implementors and users to avoid known weaknesses.

The core issue has not been about security but about interoperability.  All signature schemes are open to content attacks; in the end it really boils down to the quality of the implementation.

JWS's support of the algorithm "none" spurred a lot of (very uninteresting) security discussions.  I would simply have dropped that option and moved on.

thanx,
Anders