Re: Checkout API spec published

> On Feb 8, 2016, at 10:40 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/08/2016 10:33 PM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>> Until then, I am more comfortable saying "here is one way to do
>> things"
>
> That's exactly what the current proposal says.

I’m looking at the extensibility text in [1] and it’s not clear to me that it allows different
approaches using JSON-LD.  The document says:

 "If a @context property does not exist, add one and assign the value "https://w3id.org/payments/v1" to it. If a @context does exist, ensure its value is "https://w3id.org/payments/v1”.

and later:

 "In this case, the application MUST ensure that if the @context property exists and that the value associated is "https://w3id.org/payments/v1". If the @context does not exist, it MUST be assumed that the object has a @context property with the value of "https://w3id.org/payments/v1”.

That seems to me to be forcing a single way to extend using JSON-LD.

An alternative would be to say:

 * This spec defines the meaning when the @context value "https://w3id.org/payments/v1” is specified.

Other specs could define other behavior for other @context values.

An approach that does not force a single @context value would allow experimentation while still providing a known set of semantics.

Ian

[1] https://wicg.github.io/web-payments-browser-api/

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447