From: Kiran Gopinath <kiran.gopinath@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2022 11:39 PM
To: public-patcg@w3.org <public-patcg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [proposals] Why are multi-party computation solutions the only ones that should be considered? (#7)

Wondering if confidential computing<https://confidentialcomputing.io/> was or is being considered as an option by anyone.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 at 14:24, Martin Thomson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org<mailto:sysbot%2Bgh@w3.org>> wrote:
@alextcone, I just changed the name back (I agree that the discussion stopped making sense under James' new title).

To @michaelkleber's question, the logic is simple:

1. Requirement: We want to design an aggregation system in which no single [malicious|compromised] party can get non-aggregated data
2. (Unstated requirements): the system produces useful information; the system does not cost inordinately much; etc....
3. Analysis: MPC is most likely outcome.

Like @eriktaubeneck, this isn't an absolute position, it's a prediction or even a guess about what is most likely to work.  It's not saying that alternatives don't exist, but that they seem less likely to be able to address the requirement.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by martinthomson
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/patcg/proposals/issues/7#issuecomment-1035592648 using your GitHub account