RE: potential requirement/guidelines on acceptable Purpose / Cate g ory combinations

I think I understand now. I always think about the cookie policy declaring
what data is being collected for what purposes (maybe because that's how
user agents tend to express it), but it also has to declare what other data
will be used for those purposes.

Let's say that my user agent allows me to express that:
1. I don't want to accept or send cookies containing sensitive personal
information.
2. I don't want to accept or send any cookies whose purpose is to enable
someone to contact me by phone or email for marketing purposes.

In the example I gave, if a site sets a cookie containing a loyalty number
(UNI) and declares that it is for indiv. analysis (IVA), then as I
understand it now it should also declare purchase (PUR) since that's what
the the loyalty # will be used to look up for the analysis. The fact that
the company could also look up my phone number and email address is not
relevant since that's not the purpose of this cookie, right? Okay, that
makes sense, and the user agent implementation might allow that cookie if it
didn't map UNI and PUR to "sensitive personal information."

But I don't think the user agent could allow you to express #1 but not #2
(say you don't mind telemarketing and online contact). Then if the loyalty #
was being collected for telemarketing, the policy would have to include PHY
in addition to UNI and TEL, and the user agent couldn't allow the cookie,
even though it doesn't violate the expressed preferences, because it
couldn't distinguish that the cookie doesn't contain a phone number. That
troubles me, but it's something of an orthogonal issue to the points you
raise.

Jack