RE: the owl.owl file

Hi!

This just came to mind: There has recently been discussion [1] about
owl.owl. If I correctly understand the original poster, he was wondering why
this ontology isn't represented in the OWL 2 documents. You may remember
that owl.owl /was/ represented in OWL 1 as an (non-normative) appendix in
the OWL Reference [2].

Anyway, the essential content (excluding annotations) of the new owl.owl
file happens to be represented (or "backed") in our document suite as well,
although in a very non-obvious way by means of two tables on "axiomatic
triples" in the RDF-Based Semantics [3a,3b] (btw, that's again a
non-normative appendix). This alignment was what I was working on and which
took me most of the time when I re-designed owl.owl at that time. But
without having a note on this alignment somewhere it will, at best, look
like an accidental coincidence, if anyone will notice it at all.

So I wonder whether we should make this connection explicit by adding text
like the following to the comment in the ontology header of owl.owl:

	The content of this ontology corresponds to Tables 6.1 and 6.2
      in Section 6.4 of the OWL 2 RDF-Based Semantics specification
	at http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-rdf-based-semantics/.
	Note that those tables do not include the different annotations
	(labels, comments and rdfs:isDefinedBy links) used in this file.

Any comments (beyond the above :))?

[1]
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-dev/2009OctDec/0006.html>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#appB>
[3a]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-rdf-based-semantics/#table-axiomatic-classes>
[3b]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-rdf-based-semantics/#table-axiomatic-properties>

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)