Re: glyphs problem 'solved' (FYI, challenges with fonts)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Subject: glyphs problem 'solved' (FYI, challenges with fonts)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 21:22:43 -0500

> The glyphs problem was caused by us updating the references to XSD.  One
> of the editors was previously listed as "S. Gao", but this was changed
> to "Shudi (Sandy) Gao 高殊镝".

So, I guess I'm the culprit as I'm the one that made this change,
copying information from the XML Schema documents.  Sorry.

As this was in one of the references, there is no wonder that people
couldn't find problems in the document sources.  Sorry again.

> Those last three characters are ones for
> which I am unable to find any free truetype fonts, suitable for use with
> the tool I am using to generate the PDF (prince).  According to
> http://rishida.net/scripts/uniview/uniview.php

> they are "CJK Unified Ideographs".   For now, I've just removed them from
> our reference pages:
>   http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/References/ref-xml-schema-datatypes

>   http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/References/ref-xml-schema

> I note that on http://www.w3.org/TR/, he is listed as just "Shudi Gao",
> so I'm going to say no further action is needed.

Works for me, although it would be nice to use his true Chinese name in
our documents, particularly as it works OK in the HTML versions.

> (If someone knows how
> to solve this at my end, hopefully with a debian package, I'll give it a
> try.)

One way to go would be to strip the characters out before PDF
generation, but I don't think that this is worth it and certainly not
for this round.

>       -- Sandro

peter