RE: CR Exit Criteria

Hi Bijan!

So, to restate what I said before: I consider it to be *not* likely that
the (now approved) CR criteria for OWL 2 Full are possible to be met
within the time constraints of the CR phase.

And to confirm what you say above: I don't know about any literature,
I consider it hard and non-obvious to implement OWL 2 Full, and I
also consider the uncertainty to be high. This is all what I was about
in my last mail. I certainly wouldn't have written the mail if I would
think that OWL 2 Full was easy and fast to be implemented.

Concerning what I said about "obviously un-implementable", you seem to
interpret more into this notion compared to what I intended. I just wanted
to express that I cannot point to a specific feature of the language that
would make me say: "Forget about implementing OWL 2 Full!", which would,
of course, be a show stopper for having this language under the W3C flag.
Actually, I really believe that one can do significantly better than, say,
what Jena provides (without hunting for unachievable theoretical
completeness, though). But it will take a lot of effort, and most probably
some new approach to pursue. Well, the book has to be written first,
before one can implement from it. :)

Btw: What I said about "building DL from scratch" was (as in my last
week's mail) meant for the imagined case that there would be
*no* existing theoretical foundation available (no books to implement
from). My (maybe hidden) argument was that I do not see why
the desire to have an ontology language for the SemWeb would
necessarily be bound to existing research in the field of
implementing knowledge representation languages. The WebOnt WG
would have certainly be able to produce a sort of OWL even without
such theoretic work. But I wonder what the CR criteria would have
been in such an "unlucky" situation.

>Cheers,
>Bijan.

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer