RE: (poll) renaming rdf:text to rdf:plainLiteral

Dave Reynolds wrote:

>There also seemed to be a separate proposal to make the
>datatype-formerly-known-as-rdf:text be disjoint from xsd:string, i.e.
>only represent plain literals with language tags.
>
>Presumably by adopting the name "rdf:plainLiteral" we would be rejecting
>that other suggestion.

AFAICT, it keep things as they are. I believe, making rdf:text disjoint from
xsd:string would be a significant change of design, and would ask for
another Last Call. At least, it would require further spec'ing work by our
working groups.

Currently, §3 of "rdf:text" sais:

[[
Value Space. The value space of rdf:text consists of

* all strings, and
* all pairs of the form ( "abc" , "lc-langtag" )
  where "abc" is a string and "lc-langtag" is a lowercase language tag.
]]

So it covers the non-tagged plain literals ("all strings"). And there is
even an example for this in §3:

[[
Lexical form: "Family Guy@"
Corresponding data value: "Family Guy"
]]

But I don't see a problem with having rdf:text subsuming non-tagged plain
literals, since the subset of all language-tagged plain literals can easily
be referred to via the rdf:langRange facet:

Example from §3:
[[
The pair ( rdf:langRange "*" ) is mapped to the subset of the value space of
rdf:text containing all pairs of the form ( "abc" , "lc-langtag" ). In
languages such as OWL 2, this can be used to specify that a data value must
contain the language tag.
]]

So it's at least not a problem for OWL 2 to refer to this subset, in
particular since OWL 2 now has datatype definitions, which allows for
assigning a name to a facet-restricted datatype. I don't know what the
situation is for RIF, though.

>OK with me either way, the separation proposal had some slight appeal to
>me but it's no big deal, just wanted to clear that's what's being
>proposed.
>
>Dave

Best,

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer