RE: Jan Wielemaker is o.k. I think

Me too.

And I think that neither of the two proposed approaches could be seen as a
serious replacement for OWL/XML.

The second approach would not have any advantage at all, AFIACT, because it
would even be a /restricted/ version of RDF/XML. So it would be genuinely
the triple view.

And I would expect the first one, with additional parseType declarations, to
be at least very limited, because it would also still strongly adhere to the
triple view, with only some potential fanciness at the node positions.
What's more, this syntax of OWL would still be strongly bound to the striped
format of RDF/XML, and that's what we really want to avoid, do we?

This doesn't mean that I disregard Jan's basic idea of having one basic
serialization syntax for RDF, and then extend it for the different SemWeb
languages. I only believe that it won't help us (or POWDER, or ...) too
much, in particular not with RDF/XML(-ABBREV) as the base language.

Best,
Michael