Re: LC responses 28, 48 & 58

(cc-ing Sandro explicitly because this affects the intro document as well)

Sigh. This naming issue will haunt us until we retire...

On my way back home from the 'tute I tried to combine some sort of an
"ideal" (a.k.a. more mathematical) view of the various components and
their naming with the accepted practice as referred to by Jim and
Michael (and Frank, actually). Here is what I think we have

- We have OWL 2 (no suffix!). This is defined in the structural spec,
essentially via UML. It has a representation in RDF using the OWL 2
vocabulary. RDF graphs that 'behave' well v.a.v. data types (this is my
understanding from Boris) can be mapped to the UML. In other words,
modulo some misbehaving RDF graphs (that are rare in practice) the UML
structure and the RDF are equivalent.

- We have two possible semantics for OWL 2: Direct and RDF Based. Both
can be used with all RDF graphs.

- We also have syntactic subsets of OWL 2. These are the OWL DL
Syntactic Subset, and the OWL EL/QL/RL syntactic subsets. We can also
consider OWL 2 as a whole as a syntactic subset with empty restrictions.

- The combination of any subsets with any of the two semantics are
possible. However, only certain combinations have proven to be useful in
practice for different reasons. These are:

 - The whole of OWL 2 using the RDF Based Semantics; this is commonly
referred to as OWL 2 Full. Note that OWL 2 Full has the extra bonus of
providing semantics for those rare RDF graphs that cannot be mapped onto
the OWL 2 Structure
 - The OWL DL Syntactic Subset and the Direct Semantics, this is
commonly referred to as OWL 2 DL
 - The OWL EL and QL Syntactic Subsets and the Direct Semantics, these
are commonly referred to as OWL EL and OWL QL
 - The OWL RL Syntactic Subset and the RDF Based Semantics, this is
commonly referred to as OWL RL. Note that a separate theorem shows that,
in many important cases, the OWL RL Syntactic Subset can actually be
used with both Semantics and they behave in an identical manner, ie,
both combinations are meaningful.

In other words, we may want to strictly separate the notion of _OWL XX
Syntactic Subset_ and certain combination of these with particular
semantics.

Is this what Michael refers to? Can that be put into a better language
(maybe we will have to find a better name for OWL XX Syntactic Subset)

I am not sure it helps; it helped to clarify my thoughts on the bus...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153